Essential oil of lavender properties, its fantastic benefits and our recommendations for use. Lavender essential oil is perhaps the most famous essential oil in the world: here why!
Often when we approach a lavender plant (Lavandula officinalis or angustifolia) we spontaneously smell that typical, sweet, floral, herbaceous and refreshing aroma with a very pleasant balsamic-woody note. Lavender is a perennial evergreen, very fragrant plant that is characterized by its purple-purple flowers, small and spiked, with flowering from June to September. Typical of the Mediterranean countries, it is now cultivated, due to its essential oil and also as a garden plant, in many regions, from the Mediterranean to Norway. It prefers arid and stony soils, sunny up to 1800 m.
Essential oil of lavender: characteristics
The lavender essential oil is obtained by steam distillation of Officinal Lavender (or “angustifolia”) fresh flowered tops. More than 300 components of lavender essential oil have been identified, but the most important with regard to olfactory characterization are esters and alcohols, such as linalol (anxiolytic, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor) and linalyl acetate.
Essential oil of lavender properties and benefits
Lavender essential oil is a well-known sedative of the nervous system, has moderate antimicrobial activity, moderate larvicidal, acaricidal and insect-repellent activity, is soothing and has a certain local anesthetic action. Here are its countless benefits:
1) essential oil of lavender properties and benefits for the skin:
- its use in the bathtub can be used to reduce itching in the case of eczema or mycosis or dermatitis. The dose is 6-8 drops of lavender essential oil pre-mixed in a liquid soap. To increase the antimicrobial effect, add 2-3 drops of Tea tree essential oil;
- in local applications useful on impure and acneic skin, large pores, pimples. A humectant solution is obtained by mixing 3-4 drops of lavender essential oil in 33 ml of Jojoba oil (jojoba oil is useful for all skin types, especially for inflamed and sensitive skin, acne and dermatitis and is anti-inflammatory, in the case of oily skin the excess of sebum dissolves in the jojoba);
- in local applications it is used on iron burns, or from small accidents in the kitchen and on abrasions: just apply a few drops of lavender essential oil immediately, before and after putting the burn under cold water, so as to decrease pain and prevent blistering. If the burn is particularly painful, add 2-3 drops of Tea Tree essential oil. Alternative: prepare an oil composed of 50 ml of calendula oleolite and 20 drops of lavender essential oil and apply immediately on the scalded area, repeating the treatment several times a day.
- also useful as a soothing to insect bites.
2) essential oil of lavender properties and benefits for cold. A few drops in the bathtub or used as a component of fumigations or inhalations in case of respiratory disorders, helps to reduce nasal and bronchial congestions caused by colds and flu;
3) essential oil of lavender properties and benefits on mood and stress
- a few drops of lavender essential oil in the bathtub help improve mood. For a simple olfactory effect use 3 drops, although it is usually recommended to use 6-8 drops to relax, while for a more powerful effect you can reach a maximum of 15 premixed drops. 20 drops of lavender essential oil in a 150 ml jar filled with cooking salts is a great relaxing bath remedy.
- the lavender essential oil can create a very relaxing environment, and for this you can use it in diffusers, vaporizers or simply on the radiator with a handkerchief. In the wardrobe it can be used to perfume clothes. The vaporization of lavender at night improved the insomnia of some subjects with light or moderate insomnia (also generally associated with Frankincense essential oil). Thanks to its calming power, lavender essential oil can undoubtedly also be used in case of agitation, nervousness, depressed mood, anxiety, waiting anxiety (generally with sweet orange), irritability, headaches and migraines;
- the lavender essential oil naturally represents an excellent fragrance for massage: it relieves stress and related problems such as insomnia, headache, anxiety, premenstrual tension and post partum depression;
4) essential oil of lavander in perfumery: it is widely used in perfumery as part of the agreements of fougere (fern) and in soaps, or in small quantities in cologne and in male styles.
Essential oil of lavander: the choice of Erboristeria Como
The lavender essential oil (Lavandula angustifolia Mill.) chosen for you by Erboristeria Como is 100% natural, certified, it comes from organic farming and the part used for distillation is the inflorescence. Brand Flora bio.
For any clarification or for more information Contact us.
Follow us on our Facebook and Instagram channels
ALL RIGHT ARE RESERVED, THIS TEXT IS NOT REPRODUCIBLE WITHOUT EXPRESS AUTHORIZATION OF ERBORISTERIA COMO