Swollen legs: causes and symptoms and pratical natural remedies to use for legs well being and improve microcirculation. discover now
The feeling of heaviness and swelling in the legs is the first sign of venous stasis, that is, the slowing of blood flow from the periphery to the heart. These symptoms can be felt especially when you are sitting or standing long and increasingly annoying towards the end of the day.
In summer, these symptoms may be more pronounced due to the heat. They often cause swollen feet or ankles, especially in the evening, clearly visible.
In reality these disorders can and must be resolved and represent the “first alarm bell” of an alteration of the circulation, which affects the lower limbs. In case of edema, heaviness in the lower limbs, pain in the legs, especially in the evening, tension a specialist visit is generally sufficient to make the correct diagnosis.
What is chronic venous insufficiency?
Chronic venous insufficiency (IVC) is a condition in which the veins, generally the veins of the lower extremities which already naturally are subjected to low pressures, do not favor the return of blood flow to the heart (remember that the venous circulation, unlike that arterial, goes from bottom to top) and therefore the blood remains longer in the lower peripheral vessels (venous stasis), with an increase in pressure in the peripheral venous system, thus altering the microcirculation (consisting of venules, capillaries, arterioles).
If the hypertension develops over time, the vessel wall dilates and the venous valve leaflets no longer meet when the valve is closed. This further increases hypertension and edema occurs (a part of blood escapes from the venous bed, thickening in the tissues and causing swelling). If no action is taken, chronic venous insufficiency can progress and worsen.
The IVC can be divided into two broad categories, depending on the causes:
- – Functional IVC, which is instead the expression of a functional overload of the veins that, although normal, are called to excessive work;
- – organic IVC, which is caused by real pathologies of the veins (varicose veins, venous thrombosis outcomes ..).
In all cases, the IVC involves a series of symptoms: feeling of heaviness, itching, tingling, swelling and discomfort in the legs and ankles.
In addition to these symptoms, skin changes, visible capillaries, varicose veins and ulcerations may appear on the legs. Varicose veins appear as dilated superficial veins and with a tortuous course, whose appearance follows structural and functional anomalies of the valves belonging to the saphena, to intrinsic anomalies of the venous wall, at high intraluminal pressure or, albeit rarely, in the presence of fistulas arteriovenous.
Swollen legs: When the veins lose tone and elasticity?
- With the heat (summer or overheated environments in winter) since it is the heat that expands the vessels and it slows down the venous return towards the heart;
- in the presence of overweight and unbalanced feeding;
- with age;
- with sedentary life;
- remaining a long time standing;
- with pregnancy;
- with the use of oral contraceptives;
- with the use of hormone replacement therapy.
How to find the well-being of the legs?
It is necessary to correct, where possible, risky behavior, reinforce venous walls and treat disorders. Here are 6 good behavioral rules:
- moderate physical activity: avoid as much as possible to stand still for long periods of time (if forced to work, get up frequently on tiptoes: this exercise stimulates the calf muscle pump, pushing the blood up ); walk as long as possible; avoid sports that increase abdominal pressure (lifting weights for example) and sports that continuously press blood flow on the valves (jogging, tennis, squash). To these favorite soft and isotonic sports (walking, swimming); cycling is not prohibited, but partially contraindicated;
- use comfortable shoes, with a 2-3 cm heel, with a wide plant, avoiding the use of slippers and clogs; wear loose trousers;
- sleeping with the lower limbs raised about 15 centimeters, putting a cushion under the mattress;
- avoiding forms of direct heat on the legs (the heat expands and therefore increases the venous stasis), attention to the postures with crossed legs and excessive permanence in warm environments;
- possibly, reduction of body weight;
- avoid the excess of smoke and coffee and other substances that perform vasoconstrictive action on the arteries, especially the smaller ones, and therefore do not promote circulation.
In association with the important behavioral rules, the intake of specific plant extracts with beneficial properties aimed at favoring the functionality of the microcirculation, contributes to giving the legs a feeling of wellbeing and lightness.
Swollen legs: Plants useful for improving microcirculation
The scientific literature recognizes to specific ingredients and extracts of medicinal plants important properties useful to promote the well-being of the microcirculation and therefore used for internal use or locally. In particular, the German E Commission and ESCOP, for the Symptoms of chronic venous insufficiency, mention:
- for external use: Witch hazel (pains in the legs, heaviness in the legs, varicose veins) and witch hazel leaves (heaviness in the legs);
- for internal use: Meliloto summit (nocturnal cramps in the legs, leg pains, swelling of the legs, heaviness in the legs, itching in the legs, varicose veins); Witch hazel leaves and Blueberry fruit (leg pains, heaviness in the legs, varicose veins); Rusco rhizome (leg pains, tingling in the legs, swollen legs, heaviness in the legs, tired legs).
These plants are characterized by the presence of tannins (with astringent action), flavonoids, anthocyanins and procyanidins (with protective and anti-inflammatory vessel action). These plants can alleviate the symptoms, increasing the capillary resistance and the venous tone, without causing variations in the organic structures.
Our natural remedies for your tired and heavy legs
Rusco Compound Plus: gluten-free supplement based on rusco (min.10% extract extract in total ruscogenine as ruscogenin), blueberry (min. Extract extracted 36% with HPLC method in anthocyanosides as anthocyanidins, obtained from fresh berries of blueberry titrated in anthocyanosides deriving exclusively from the botanical species Vaccinium myrtillus, as certified by a prestigious laboratory in Berlin), witch hazel (dry extract E / D 1: 4) and meliloto (dry extract titrated min. 0.5% in total cumarins); ruscus and blueberry are useful for the functionality of the microcirculation in case of heaviness of the legs, witch hazel is useful for the functionality of the venous circulation. Take 1 capsule a day of Rusco Composto preferably away from meals for at least 2 months.
- Rusco rhizome: ruscogenine and neoruscogenina, two steroidal saponins, are the main components responsible for its venotonic and astringent action, favoring the constriction of the venules. Its vasoconstrictive action is considered stronger than that of horse chestnut and witch hazel. Rusco also has anti-inflammatory and anti-edematous properties. Rusco, decreasing the blood congestion in the lower limbs, is indicated for edema and bruises.
- Blackberry fruit: It has a specific protective action on venous vessels, thanks above all to its anthocyanosides. It reduces capillary permeability and increases its resistance, and is an antioxidant. Attention however: to guarantee the action at the level of the venous microcirculation the anthocyanosides must derive ONLY and exclusively from the Vaccinium myrtillus variety (in our product Rusco composed this is certified by laboratory analysis, but on the market this is not so obvious, in fact from a research conducted by Altroconsumo in 2011 has emerged as food supplements containing cranberry in three cases on the fourteen examined, in reality do not contain this element but other species, such as More, Ribes, etc …). Blackberry, which has protective action on the walls of venous blood vessels, is also indicated for capillary fragility.
- Witch hazel: the tannins present in witch hazel are responsible for the astringent and haemostatic properties of witch hazel: when applied locally and in low concentrations, these compounds cause vasoconstriction and a significant decrease in vascular permeability (hemostatic action) with local anti-inflammatory effect. Tannins also perform a mild local anesthetic action that relieves pain and itching.
- Melilot dry or dried leaves and flowering tops: the melilot has anti-edematous, anti-inflammatory, venotropic, cicatrizing effects. On the cardiovascular system, the derivatives of meliloto act by increasing the capillary resistance, decreasing the permeability of the vessel walls and favoring cerebral and peripheral irrigation, improving venous return. They are anti-inflammatory and promote drainage at the lymphatic level. Indicated for varicose veins.
Refreshing legs spray: without Parabens, without preservatives, without fragrance, dermatologically tested, nickel tested; it is based on centella fluid extract and glycolic extract of red vine and menthol. Thanks to its components it gives an immediate and lasting sensation of relief and freshness, contributing to the well-being and skin tone. The Refreshing Leg Spray can be used at any time of the day.
- Centella asiatica aerial parts: antiedemigena (fights the swelling of the legs), restores tonicity and capillary elasticity. The subjective improvement of symptoms is associated with the fact that the centella causes an increase in transcutaneous oxygen pressure, a decrease in transcutaneous carbon dioxide pressure, a decrease in the circumference or ankle edema and a decrease in capillary permeability.
- Red grapevine leaves: the protective action of its proanthocyanidins is exerted through the stabilization of the capillaries, an action that prevents the increase of vascular permeability; procyanidins stabilize the collagen fibers and elastin, thus strengthening the vascular connective tissue matrix and possess anti-inflammatory activity.
Ice effect legs cream
Specchiasol proposes instead, as an alternative, Vitalven capsules (with Centella, Meliloto, Mirtillo useful for the functionality of the microcirculation, with Vitamin C and Pycnogenol®) and Vitalven gel (based on plant extracts of Horse Chestnut, Centella, Rusco, Witch Hazel and White Lily for the relief of tired and heavy legs.
- Among our herbal teas we recommend instead the herbal tea for swollen and heavy legs.
- Among our cosmeceutical eco-bio creams: Domus Olea’s lipo drena lift legs cream.
- Among our bud extracts: for Chiereghin (2005) the horse chesnut bud extract is the general remedy of the “heavy legs”, possibly associated or alternated with the rowan and chestnut bud extract. In particular: the specific gemmoderivato for the veins is the rowan bud extract, which tones the vessel wall and fights its inflammation (Tétau); the chestnut bud extract acts on the lymphatic vessels reducing the lymphatic stasis (the most responsible of the varicose pathology, of the edema and of the annoying sensation of “heavy legs”). We must not overlook the fact that, upstream of this disorder, we are faced with a situation of capillary fragility that must be treated in depth.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, THIS TEXT CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT EXPRESS AUTHORIZATION OF ERBORISTERIA COMO